We offer a fully accredited, self-paced online Introduction to Electrocardiography (ECG) course. This course combines an interactive study experience using the convenience of the Internet. Introduction to ECG gives students the necessary knowledge to master the basic principles of electrocardiography.
The online course teaches cardiac anatomy and guides you through the principles of electrophysiology, ECG complexes, recognition of arrhythmias and myocardial infarctions. Detailed interactive animations simplify ECG concepts. We've integrated hundreds of actual and highly detailed ECG tracings into the problem-based exercises.
Introduction to ECG Course Price: $179
The Online Introduction to ECG class modules include:
- Anatomy: basic anatomy including the heart, valves, blood vessels, conduction system
- Electrophysiology: depolarization and repolarization
- ECG complexes: P wave, PQ interval, QRS complex, ST segment, T wave, J point
- Leads and electrodes: Definitions, electrical principles, lead placement
- Electrical axis of the heart: Variants, clinical relevance, determination of the electrical heart axis
- Determination of rate: Determination of bradycardia, tachycardia, regular and irregular rhythm
- Bundle branch blocks: LBBB, RBBB, incomplete block, effect on heart axis, ECG criteria
- Premature complexes: Premature atrial, junctional and ventricular complexes, ventricular multigeminy
- Ventricular complexes: Ventricular escape complexes, run of PVC's, sustained/non-sustained VT
- Rhythm analysis: Sinus rhythm, atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, VT, torsades de pointes, VF, blocks
- Ischemia and infarction: Q waves, T wave abnormalities, R progression, STT abnormalities
Introduction to ECG Course Objectives
At the conclusion of Introduction to ECG participants will be able to:
- Discuss the cardiac anatomy essential for understanding the basic principles of ECG interpretation.
- Discuss the difference between depolarization and repolarization.
- List three ECG complexes.
- List two common ECG abnormalities encountered in clinical practice using a standard 12-lead ECG tracing.
Course Credit & Completion Time
Students have access to Introduction to ECG for one full year. This course is self-paced and completion time is dependent upon on many factors including the student's prior knowledge, internet connection speed and reading comprehension. The testing in this course is based on progress and knowledge retention rather than strictly on the number of correct answers.
Introduction to ECG utilizes a nontraditional assessment mechanism. Certificates are generated once a student reaches a 95% average rating across all of the exercise categories. Ratings are determined by progress indicators contained in the course. Ratings rise and fall as you respond to the exercise questions. If you answer a question incorrectly the courseware will return the correct response with detailed feedback. You will be asked additional questions on that topic as you progress and the course adjusts based your knowledge level. Earn back your rating points by answering the questions correctly the next time.
Upon successful completion of the Online Introduction to ECG Course students will receive a certificate of completion for 1.6 Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Corexcel is authorized to award CEUs by the International Association of Continuing Education and Training. Acceptance of CEUs is at the discretion of the institution. To determine if this course will meet specific college or university requirements, submit the course objectives and accreditation information to your school for approval prior to enrolling.
More Introduction to ECG Information
Upon purchase of the Introduction to ECG online course you will receive an e-mail receipt and a separate e-mail with your log-in information. Log-in e-mails are generated during normal business hours between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm EDT Monday through Friday. *Our shopping cart prompts for shipping options. Since Introduction to ECG is an online course, just enter your zip code and the shipping will fill in with $0 for the shipping charges.
Introduction to Electrocardiography (ECG) is based on a proven eLearning formula. The intelligent software monitors student progress and adapts based on your learning curve. This allows you to concentrate on ECG subject areas you may be having problems with while focusing less on concepts you already understand.
Introduction to ECG provides the student with thousands of problem-based exercises including hundreds of ECG tracings. The course includes extremely detailed animations explaining electrophysiology, proper interpretation, and much more. The interactive animations allow you to observe the mechanism of diverse clinical processes in detail. This self-paced online course offers spectacular animations of cardiovascular system at work, the electrophysiologic mechanisms involved, the pathophysiology of cardiovascular diseases, and hundreds of ECG tracings.
Each ECG exercise is accompanied by specific explanation(s). You also have the ability to submit comments, suggestions and questions. Introduction to ECG teaches the student not only "the how" but "the why."
Online ECG Class Convenience
Introduction to ECG is a web-based training application. Study when and where you want. Your scores and progress is maintained in our centralized systems and you can access your student account using any computer with a broadband internet connection. This allows you to continue your progress and learning wherever you are.
In order to use our online Introduction to ECG course make sure your computer is equipped with the following:
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Mac OS X Operating System
- An updated Internet browser such as Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 (or higher) Mozilla Firefox 10 (or higher) or Google Chrome 10.0 (or higher)
- An installation of Adobe's Flash Player 8 or higher (Free) - Download Adobe's Flash Player